Informed Consent & Client Agreement
- A consent form where your client confirms they have been informed of the types of treatment you provide as well as potential risks and benefits.
- Your client agrees to inform you of any key matters that may affect treatment
- Drafted in plain English by Australian lawyers
What is Informed Consent and Client Agreement?
Informed consent is a person’s voluntary decision about healthcare that is made with knowledge and understanding of the benefits and risks involved.
The informed consent and client agreement is a document voluntarily signed by your client prior to them receiving treatment. In the form, they acknowledge you have informed them of the types of treatment and remedies you may use as well as the potential risks and benefits of treatment. Your client also agrees to inform you of key matters that may affect their treatment and to contact you if they experience any side effects from remedies you give them.
Who can use it?
- Designed for use by unregistered health practitioners i.e. naturopaths, nutritionists, homeopaths, herbalists etc, but can be adapted to suit all health practitioners.
Do I need it?
While not strictly a legal requirement for unregistered health practitioners, many industry associations and related codes of conduct will require you to receive informed consent.
Even if not legally required, or required by your association, it is good practice for any health practitioner to get informed consent from their clients. It helps manage the expectations of your client and minimise the risk of misunderstanding, which could lead to complaints being made against you.
What does it cover?
- Informs your client of the types of treatments you might provide to the client
- Informs your client of the potential risks and benefits of treatment
- Agreement from your client to inform you of key matters that may affect treatment including medical conditions, medications, or pregnancy
- An agreement from your client to the collection of their personal information
- Consent by your client to treat based on the information provided.
How do I use it?
This document should be signed by the client before the client receives treatment. For example, this document can be provided along with your initial paperwork or questionnaire or filled out in by the client in clinic (if applicable) before their initial consult.
Please note that using our online services and templates doesn’t constitute legal advice and doesn’t create a lawyer-client relationship between you and Legally Healthy.
If you have questions about the template and whether it fits your specific needs or need legal advice, feel free to book in a free consultation.
The information offered on www.legallyhealthy.com.au should be considered informational only and is NOT LEGAL ADVICE.
Is this template suitable for all states and territories?
Yes, it is suitable for use in all states and territories in Australia.
Can I use this template if I live outside of Australia?
This template is designed for those doing business in Australia. While similar principles may apply in your jurisdiction, please consult with a lawyer qualified in your jurisdiction.
Is this template legally binding?
It sure is! It is drafted by qualified Australian lawyers and is legally binding.
What file format does the template come in?
How do I complete the template?
All our templates come with instructions on how to complete them. You complete the highlighted text in the template in order to personalise to suit your business needs, then you save, delete any explanatory comments in the template, remove any remaining highlight and you are ready to use it. Feel free to add your branding and logo. We think your legals should fit seamlessly into your business branding.
How long does it take to complete?
Approximately 5-10 mins.
How often are the templates updated?
We are constantly updating and adding to our template library . We provide minor updates to wording and formatting in our documents.
If the law changes, we’ll email you with the changes and updates to add to your existing templates. You have lifetime access, so any updates are provided free of charge.